Sleep Paralysis: The Waking Nightmare explores the terrifying experience of sleep paralysis, what it is, what it means, and will it happen to you?
Sleep Specialist Dr David Cunnington says Sleep Paralysis is a sensation of waking up but not being able to move, often with accompanied by hypnopompic hallucinations that can contain terrifying imagery.
“I’ve seen many many different experiences, and people describe horrifying experiences, absolutely horrifying things, things that you would almost not even conceptualise,” Dr Cunnington said.
Think of your worst horror movie and just amplified by ten, and that’s the sort of visual imagery that they get, and at the same time a sensation of being totally defenseless and unable to escape from that visual imagery”.
Producer Gianni Francis hopes to bring the this obscure subject into the light of day through the medium of podcasting and use the power of audio to relive the experiences of sleep paralysis victims, explore the phenomenon surrounding sleep paralysis in culture and have sleep experts bring some clarity to the table.
“We know little to nothing about dreams and where we go when we sleep. Sleep paralysis is popular among internet culture as a pseudo paranormal phenomenon that can be explained by science but not to a satisfying degree of clarity. We wanted to provide an immersing experience to the listener with a morbid curiosity”.
“No escape” by ezhikoff is licensed under CC BY 2.0, available here
– “Water, Dripping, Medium, A.wav” by InspectorJ is used under a creative commons license. Available here
– “Breath” by mcroce, is used under a creative commons license. Available here
– “Horror, Violin Tremolo Cluster, B.wav” by InspectorJ is used under a creative commons license. Available here
– “ScaryViolins.ogg” by lennyboy is used under a creative commons license. Available here
– “Rope Creaking Holding Weight”, “Hallow Wind”, “Walk Barefoot on Wood” are available in the Youtube Audio Library.